This week’s Tech Bytes are uncharacteristically sliding into your Saturday morning. A combination of the fact that we have a new puppy, and…well, that’s really it. We have a new puppy that has turned our lives upside down. In (mostly) a good way! More on him later. If you’re like us, you’re sitting at home watching college football and the Ryder Cup and there’s a chance you’re also catching up on all the interneting you didn’t get to do during the week. But let’s be honest, most of you are probably doing wayyy more exciting things because it’s FALL where you live and Fall is awesome. Sadly for us, it’s still 90 degrees and Fall doesn’t appear to be anywhere in sight. Sigh. But please, enjoy your apple picking, and spiced cider, and pumpkin everythings and we’ll join you sometime in late November.
1. I’ve always said I’ll never turn down a donut. They are like my kryptonite. I see one and I just can’t walk away. I love them so much that a few years ago when I was looking for a more “fun” Instagram username than my real name, I settled on “likesdonuts”. On there you’ll find…shocker…a lot of photos of donuts. Nowadays there are so many fancy, gourmet donut shops, but I have very fond childhood memories of picking up donuts from Dunkin’ Donuts on the way home from church. My Mom loved the lemon filled. My Dad loved the plain old fashioned kind (think: Homer Simpson). And my brother and I loved all the rest. Truthfully my absolute FAVORITE is a frosted donut with rainbow sprinkles. But generally, I’ll take whatever I can get my hands on. Now, I know Dunkin’ Donuts has evolved over the years — they’ve incorporated a variety of other menu items (bagels, breakfast sandwiches, etc.), and they may be more well-known for their coffee now than they are for their donuts. So, despite the name change, they will always be a donut shop to me. Hey, at least it’s not as bad as IHOP’s latest move. Which they later said was a joke. I don’t know what to believe anymore.
2. I always knew there was a reason I never got the Park Place game piece. This article is long, but it’s a great read. They’ve also announced a movie (starring Matt Damon!) based on the massive McDonald’s Monopoly Game fraud. Should be good.
3. I love me some Shake Shack. Maybe even more than In & Out (gasp!). I literally tried to host our Rehearsal Dinner at a Shack Shack in Arizona. True story. And it’s because of this love that everytime I see Shake Shack announce yet ANOTHER new location that is NOT New Orleans, I angrily show my husband and proceed to go on a five-minute rant about how the chain would do so well here and how all of these other cities are not nearly as deserving and how I hate Shake Shack so much for depriving us. But I’ve ranted for the last time because it has FINALLY announced its first NOLA location! P.S. It’s not IDEAL, but it will have to do.
4. So, Instagram’s founders are leaving the Company (Facebook). Big deal? Maybe. Why are they leaving? No one knows. Here are a few good takes. Not surprisingly, suspicions seem to be that its the fault of the billionaire villain everyone loves to hate — Mark Zuckerberg.
5. I’ve been trying to read more in 2018, so I figured sharing what I’m reading and listening to will hold me a little more accountable. So here’s my current reading list! I usually juggle a few books at a time, and depending on my mood and how much “free” time I have, I’ll flip back and forth.
Audiobook (on Audible) — Girl, Wash Your Face
Paperback — Grinding It Out: The Making of McDonald’s (Ray Kroc)
Kindle — A Tale of Two Cities (an oldie but goodie)
Podcast(s) — I’m true crime binging right now. Check out Dr. Death.
Enjoy the (rest of) the weekend!
One thought on “Tech Bytes”
Shoutout to Shake Shack Corporate for saving me from the weekly rants!